montecucco sangiovese riserva docg
- Grapes: Sangiovese
- Region: Montecucco – Seggiano – Toscana
- Type of soil: stony soil with medium consistency, presence of galestro and good draining subsoil
- Training system: spurred cordon
- Altitude: 450 mt.
- Plant density: 5.200 plants/Ha
- Alcohol level: 14% vol.
- Harvest period: 20-30 September
- Serving temperature: 18-20°C (64 – 68 °F)
- Recommended glass: a large glass, narrowing at the rim
- Aging potential: over 10 years
- Bottle sizes: 0,75; 1.5; 3 lt
he wine is obtained from the Sangiovese vineyard called “la casetta” at an altitude of 450 meters with south/west sun-exposure. Fermentation is carried out on the skins for about 15-20 days at a controlled temperature (27-28°C).
This phase is followed by the malolactic fermentation in tainless steel vats, specifically designed for the delicate extraction of tannin and color.
After this process the wine is aged for 24 months: The first 12 months in 500 liter oak barrels, the second 12 months in 3000 liter oak barrel. Finally the wine is bottled and stored so that the wine may continue to age.
Deep ruby red color; intense scent reminiscent of little red fruits. Nice aromas of liquorice and chocolate originated during the wood refining.
The taste reveals a really good acidity balanced with a great structure. The tannin is present, but never too strong. The aftertaste is long and very persistent. The aging potential is very long.